OT: Neons?

From: Joseph A. Orsini (Joeman@gbonline.com)
Date: Sat Aug 20 2005 - 15:16:03 EDT

Hey guys,

        Am thinking about getting a pair of gas sippers for the wife and myself.
Have been considering Neons. Anyone have thoughts or comments on these?
They seem like decent cars for the price (looking used 2000 or older) and
from what I have read they are undervalued for perceived defects are aren't
really as big a problem as they are made out to be. I have found a couple
2000's for under $1500 What do I need to check on these? What years had the
head gasket problems? What kind of mileage do they get with the 5spd? Any
other suggestions for a gas sipper? We had a Jetta for about three years
and it got good mileage but I hated the shift pattern on their 5 spd. I was
thinking a VW TDI but those are a tad pricey. I would prefer to buy
American so are there any better choices than the Neon? Any good web sites
for Neon info?

Thank guys and gals,

-Joe