Autolite Plugs! hehehe

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 15:53:46 EDT

I just heard a collective groan from the DML whn I typed that subject line.

Heres my delema...

The Ram has been stumbling and misfiring for a little while now, and I
have been meaning to take a look at the plugs. I have Bosch platinum
single electrodes in there. Don't ask me why I bothered buying those
plugs - if you ask I honestly don't have an answer - I don't know why I
put them in heh. They may have been on sale or something when I got em....

I have a HyperTech Power Programmer and it set to the 87 octane specs.
Love it. But I have noticed a "slight" amount of pinging from time to
time - most notable was on the trip out to the BBQ - under heavy lods
and hard acceloration pulling Christine - I would notice it - I had to
run midgrade gas to get it to stop.

Fast forward to yesterday. Truck had been stumbling every so ofton -
shutting it off and restarting it would make it go away. Yesterday
however it did it three times and it died twice. Get home after work
pulled a plug, they need to be replaced. They;'ve been in there since
about 36K - I have over 50K on there now. So much for platinum lasting
longer...

yeah yeah I can hear you in the back of my head, Andy, saying "told'ja so!"

So I'm looking up new plugs for the 360, and I see th 5224's listed...
not 3924s. Der - so before I went and posted to The List I figured I
would hunt through the archives - heh I found lots of interesting
posts... but none that told me why the 5224's were being used instead of
3924's. The electrodes are different - that much is obvious, but is
there some change that was made to the Magnum heads around 1999/2000
that required a different electrode configuration?

Next thing is heat range... I could throw the "3" range plug in there to
try and help ward off detonation - and I do tend to have a rather heavy
foot hehe... so I don't think I would worry abut them fouling.

Recommendations?

My gut is to go with 5223's - for whatever reason they are calling for
the 522 family of plugs and not the 392 family, so I should stick with
that right?

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine