Re: Lower a 4x4

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 14:21:36 EDT

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Andy Levy wrote:

> On 8/24/05, Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:
> >
> > If you're using the same spring, and just changing the rotation of it (as
> > you do when you crank a torsion bar up or down) the spring rate will not
> > change, only the amount of availible jounce and droop.
>
> I thought the "twist" on the torsion bar was what gave it the spring
> rate but according to
> http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/3303/index1.html that may
> only be true if you raise the ride height by cranking the bars "up."

umm..... huh?

the twist is what gives it the spring rate regardless of where it's set,
and the only thing that page says is that if you add weight and then crank
up the bars to compensate the *effective* spring rate is increased. If
you have the same springs with the same weight in different rotational
positions the effective spring rate would only be changed by suspension
scrub radius changing how much leverage the tire contact patches have on
the A arms.

MikeM