Re: Dak feeling neglected, what can I do?

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Thu Aug 25 2005 - 13:30:34 EDT

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Barry Oliver wrote:

> Michael Maskalans wrote:
> > On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, Barry Oliver wrote:
> >

> > well at least that means less wear & tear and less fuel. I love being on
> > the road - it might keep me away from timely email replies to my dearest
> > of lists, but it's saving me commuting fuel dollars with every day I don't
> > have to drive my own junk to work in the morning =)
> >

> 75k miles since Laborday last year, and I am an installer, not a
> driver..UGH. Just put new tires and brakes on the ferd. I know what
> you mean, I cant get my DML on the road, thunderbird dosen't seem to
> want to connect from motels..

You do email or newsgroup? I can recieve mail all day long but of course
they never give you a SMTP server to send through, and I don't have
authSMTP set up anywhere, so my options for sending to the list are
web-news gateway, webmail or SSHing into my server and using PINE, the
same way I have to reply from work which is where I am now.

My main issue is that in general I'd rather be DOING something than
sitting in front of a computer =)

> Actually, I think I would be more interested in the rims without the
> tires, as it would make it easier for me to put streetish tires on them.

the 32" Geolandars are a hair more streetish than your BFG A/Ts, for what
it's worth...

> As far as oilburners go, the GF's soninlaw just bought a 01 CTD ram.
> [drool]

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

> Why are you considering a ford diesel? I always thought the
> Ram Diesel was the most reliable..

the price, the availability. it's not exactly new. it's also not even
exactly a turbo. but it'll get 18 and it'll still tow houses, and
it doesn't have $1000 worth of tires on it, and that's what's important.

> >>Transmission shift kit - I would probably try to follow in Josh's
> >>footsteps here, I know he put alot of research into his setup and
> >>installer, and was really happy with the results.
> >>

> > I did no research at all and bought a kit Josh didn't use. I also still
> > haven't used it... TransGo kit, the same thing I have in my Dakota. I'm
> > really happy with it and was going to put the "spare" I bought from him
> > into my RamCharger, but that hasn't happened and might not.... I think I
> > paide hime $80 or $100 for it, with some little bottles of magic juice in
> > the box too. Is that worth anything to anyone? It'll probably just keep
> > sitting if not. I'm really happy with that kit in my truck. It makes the
> > crappy gears not kill my transmission - stays nice and cool (40s on 4.10s
> > are like stock tires with 3:1 gears in the axles).
> >

> Maybe I could make you a deal for tireless rims and a trans-go kit?

maybe you should =)
> I think I am just going to do the full tuneup thing, plugs, cap, rotor,
> wires, clean the K&N, all of that. I am wondering about the O2 plugs
> though, I have heard both that you should leave them til they throw a
> code and that new ones help mileage. Conflicting stories tend to make
> me cautious.

well you really can't go wrong replacing wear parts.

I'd do the O2s. I've never heard of swapping them causing trouble...

> > solid axle swap.....?
> >
> > =)
> > --
> > MikeM
>
> I helped do yours and managed to get that silly notion right out of my
> head.

HA!
  glad I could be of assistance =)

--