Re: Gas Prices

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Wed Aug 31 2005 - 10:06:56 EDT

Jason Bleazard said:

> I haven't been out of the house yet, but I heard on the radio that it
> jumped from $1.00 to $1.20 per liter OVERNIGHT!!! This is insane. I
> really feel for the guys over in Europe, they're getting gouged much

My girlfriend lives in Indiana and she told me that the price of regular
gasoline went from $2.63 that she saw on her way to school in the morning to
$2.99 at that same gas station not 4 hours later.

> worse than we are. Fortunately they have trains and buses that work for
> them. I wish we had the kind of public transportation infrastructure
> where I could actually put it to practical use. I figured it out once,
> it would take me four buses, one train, and about two and a half hours
> to replace my 25 minute commute. Do the words "not an option" mean
> anything to these people? The public transportation system is designed
> to cater to anyone who works right in the core of downtown Toronto,
> anyone else is SOL. And then the idiot politicians in charge of it get
> on the news and whine and moan about how nobody uses it. It couldn't
> possibly be because THE SYSTEM SUCKS, now could it???

I could actually take public transportation to/from work and it would take
about 30 minutes and cost me $2.50 each way. As it sits now it takes me 10
mintues to make it to work and is about a 9 mile round trip. It is actually
cheaper for me to drive my own vehicle from a fuel cost standpoint. Going
to/from school though is another story. There's no easy way to get out there
in under 3 hours on public transportation from where I live.

> I hate to say it, but I am now seriously considering joining you.
> Unfortunately, even if a free Neon magically appeared in my driveway, I
> couldn't even afford the insurance on a third vehicle (the insurance
> industry in this province is even worse than the oil industry), so the
> only way for me to get one would be to sell my '95 Dakota (which you
> probably know I have an irrational emotional attachment to). I might
> talk to a couple of guys at work about carpooling instead. I hate
> relying on someone else for transportation, but I might not have any
> other choice. I dunno, I'm still in shock at the news.

I've thought about this as well, but if I were to trade my Dak for something
more fuel efficient, any savings I'd get in fuel economy would be offset by
the car payment as well as the probable increase of my insurance rates since
it would be a new vehicle. The only way that this would be feasable for me
would be to purchase something for $500 and then just get the minimum
possible insurance coverage for it. I'd also have to cancel the insurance on
my truck and then find somewhere to store it for free.

A woman here at work just bought a brand new H2 last week. She traded in a
Honda Civic that wasn't more than a year or two old. I'll never understand
that one.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com