Re: Gas Prices

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Wed Aug 31 2005 - 06:54:34 EDT

Terrible Tom wrote:

> Just posting to report that gas has hit the $3.00 for regular, mark in
> the northwoods of Wisconsin.

***ENGAGE RANT MODE***

It hit the $1.00 per liter mark up here a couple of weeks ago. With the
current exchange rate, that's just above $3 US per gallon. Several of
the stations are too cheap to buy new signs, and the signs they have
won't display the extra digit. They either put up 10.2 or 02.1 and
expected people to understand that it meant 102.1 cents per liter. I
figured if they're too cheap to spring for a new sign, then they should
give the gas to us for 2.1 cents. I think the poor guy working there
had heard that only about eight hundred times that day, as he didn't
look very amused when I suggested it :-).

I haven't been out of the house yet, but I heard on the radio that it
jumped from $1.00 to $1.20 per liter OVERNIGHT!!! This is insane. I
really feel for the guys over in Europe, they're getting gouged much
worse than we are. Fortunately they have trains and buses that work for
them. I wish we had the kind of public transportation infrastructure
where I could actually put it to practical use. I figured it out once,
it would take me four buses, one train, and about two and a half hours
to replace my 25 minute commute. Do the words "not an option" mean
anything to these people? The public transportation system is designed
to cater to anyone who works right in the core of downtown Toronto,
anyone else is SOL. And then the idiot politicians in charge of it get
on the news and whine and moan about how nobody uses it. It couldn't
possibly be because THE SYSTEM SUCKS, now could it???

> Anyone got an old Escort or Neon for sale? cheap?

I hate to say it, but I am now seriously considering joining you.
Unfortunately, even if a free Neon magically appeared in my driveway, I
couldn't even afford the insurance on a third vehicle (the insurance
industry in this province is even worse than the oil industry), so the
only way for me to get one would be to sell my '95 Dakota (which you
probably know I have an irrational emotional attachment to). I might
talk to a couple of guys at work about carpooling instead. I hate
relying on someone else for transportation, but I might not have any
other choice. I dunno, I'm still in shock at the news.

stebel@web.de wrote:

> BTW BP does have a profit plus from $4 billion. So the war and the
> hurrican are the cause of the high oil prices?

Stebel, you have just summed it up very concisely. We are getting
totally looted and pillaged by self-serving, greedy, conniving, er...
I'm running out of adjectives that are appropriate for a family oriented
list. Bleah.

I have two words for the situation. One of them is "horse". The other,
well, isn't.

***DISENGAGE RANT MODE***

I feel slightly better now. Thanks.