Re: Re: torque curve or hp. curve for shift pts.

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Sep 02 2005 - 10:04:30 EDT

At 06:48 PM 8/26/05, you wrote:
>so if the torque starts to decrease at linear rate that matches
>the RPM increase rate, then the HP could flatten out ( become
>a constant ) right? and if the torque decrease rate is faster than
>the RPM increase rate, the HP will start to decrease. correct? -dan

Knowing where peak tq rpm, peak hp rpm occurs and what the curves
look like after them definitely will cut down on the trial and error search
time
for optimum shift points. In real life, our and, for that matter, all
commercial
transmissions are not race transmissions where shifts are almost
instantaneously
completed into the next up gear.

Comprises have to be made. You'll need to find out what rpm the engine
falls to at the start of the next gear from the rpm that you shifted
at. You want
to make sure that that rpm begins somewhere as close as possible to the
fattest part
on the upside of the torque curve, otherwise time will be lost. Basically,
saying
make sure the starting rpm for the next gear is not below "power"
curve. It's different
for each vehicle depending on your particular vehicle and its mods. That's why
it's not too useful to put down what I or someone else shifts at.

This is where the most trial and error time where be spent. Knowing the above
from a dyno chassis gives you the most assurance that you are starting in the
right ball park, otherwise you're subjectively going by sound of motor and
feel
sensations. HTH.

Bob