Re: WAS: Gas Prices NOW: Canadian politics

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Sep 09 2005 - 19:59:22 EDT

At 11:40 AM 9/9/05, you wrote:
>As for Harper, i've never heard any of his comments about these regulations
>whatsoever, so you've caught me at a loss. You seem to know about them
>already,

Only from local newspapers out in Halifax where he made those statements.
We know that, by the time they reach Ontario, they've been sliced and diced :-)

>I'm going to outright disagree with you about Harper being in touch
>with the average Canadian though.

To the extent that he did come from a family worth multi-millions nor
a family of politicians as is the case with Mr. Ditherer.

>And regards his upbringing and family life, i don't really see that
>playing much of a role
>in the current state of affairs when leading a party (and sitting in a
>seat) that is dominated
>(for lack of a better term) by those working within the oil industry, as
>well as those
>controlling the direction of said industry.

I've been reading a recent biography about him by a former journalist who isn't
known to have conservative leanings nor is a friend of Harper. The book's goal
is not one of those warm and fuzzy types but it is a very intelligent
examination
that follows Harper's political life/ideas from his youth (in Toronto)
onward, his studies
(in Calgary) to what he has actually wrote and said, and about his role in
the major
Canadian political events (Meech, Charlottetown, '95 referendum) of the
last twenty years.

I've only read about 2/3rds but there hasn't been anything written about
his relationships
with or being influenced by anyone in the oil industry.

>I will offer up that Layton is not any more in touch though. Unless of
>course you want to buy
>a used car, but that's just my opinion. ;) And i don't want him as the
>leader of my party.
>Hopefully he won't be for long...

Layton became non-existent to me ever since he and his wife took occupancy
in one of Toronto's subsidized housing projects when both were city
councillors.
PLUS, they have never owned nor ridden in a Dakota :-)

Bob