Re: Re: The Dak is gone

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Sep 17 2005 - 21:09:10 EDT

"DAKSY" <rsmith13@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
: <snip> 55% North American content, built in Indiana<snip>

: Still 100% rice...

: Seems
: Un-American
: Buying
: A
: Ricer
: Unit

   Don't look now, but anyone who owns a 1999+ Dakota is also
driving a foreign vehicle. Not a rice burner per se, maybe we can
call it a sauerkraut burner? ;-) Although it is true that the
Dakota (unlike the Ram) is assembled in the USA by (mostly) American
workers, the same can be said of many other foreign car companies
with manufacturing plants in this country. So, some of the money
stays in this country in the form of wages paid to the assembly line
workers, but the lion's share is shipped back overseas. (The above
completely ignores the sources of raw materials and components used
in assembling the vehicle, for example Harley Davidson is an "American"
motorcycle, but has quite a few Japanese parts in it. I'm not
considering that at all, which would swing the argument even further
in my favor, I'm just looking at where the profits end up when a
vehicle is sold.)

   So, as far as the foreign vs. domestic, waxing patriotic, "buy
American", and all that goes - I don't see one bit of difference
between Subaru, Honda, Toyota and... Dodge.

   Sorry, but them's the breaks. Anyone who wants to "buy American"
nowadays has to choose between Ferd and Chebby. (With the exception
of a few specialty vehicle brands, such as Panoz, Saleen, etc.)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | '70 Barracuda, '90 Dakota Convertible, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota | | '96 Intruder, '96 Kolb FireFly, '99 Cherokee, '01 Ram 3500 | `----------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'