Dak Buyers Guide?

From: Pindell, Tim (TPindell@otterbein.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 16:29:58 EDT

2 weeks ago, my sister was transferred to Ft. Wainwright, AK. Now, her
husband and I have been charged with the task of finding her a Dakota to
replace her '87 Sundance Turbo. There is one Dodge dealer in Fairbanks
that we can find on the intarwebnet, and it has 2 used Daks. She'll be
checking those out this week. I know very little about the new stuff,
and even less about 4x4s. Since I have been stuck in Gen2-land, I really
don't know what I'm shopping for, so needless to say, I need a little
quick help. Her price range is $15-18k and she's looking for something
in the '02-'04 age range with 30-50k mules. She wants a V8, automatic
trans, 4x4, four doors, and ABS with disks all around. We have about 4
weeks to make the purchase before my brother-in-law follows her up
there.

What xfer cases were available in that date range?
Were any of them manually engaged? When was the manual xfer case
discontinued?
Are the push-button transfer cases problematic?
Is there a full-time xfer case available in the Daks?
When was the 5.2/5.9 discontinued in favor of the 4.7?
When was the 5-speed automatic transmission made available?
Considering that this truck will be going to Fairbanks, the cold weather
package is going to be a "must-have" item. If it isn't present, is it
difficult to install? I have a garage full of tools and I'm not afraid
to use them.
Is there anything problematic that we should avoid or check?

She really wants it to be "hello kitty" pink. I told her I'd see what I
could do.

Thanks for the help, fellas.

Tim