Re: Dak Buyers Guide?

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 16:49:08 EDT

On Mon, September 19, 2005 4:29 pm, Pindell, Tim said:

> she's looking for something
> in the '02-'04 age range with 30-50k mules. She wants a V8, automatic
> trans, 4x4, four doors, and ABS with disks all around.
>
> What xfer cases were available in that date range?

NV231HD and NV242 (going from memory there, but I think that's right).

> Were any of them manually engaged? When was the manual xfer case
> discontinued?

Nope. 2000 was the last year for the manual transfer case.

> Are the push-button transfer cases problematic?

Never had a problem with ours on the 2001, although Toronto isn't quite as
extreme as Fairbanks.

> Is there a full-time xfer case available in the Daks?

Yep. We have it. It only comes with a V8 and automatic, which is what
your sister wants anyway. Good luck finding one used, not many people
ordered it on the Dakotas. They seem to be more common on Durangos.

The full-time works quite well. I don't think we've ever needed to switch
ours to a locked mode for winter driving, even with the crappy OEM tires.
Note that there is no 2wd mode when you get a full-time transfer case and
the electronic dash control knob. We have "AWD, 4HI, 4LO" with a tiny
button to put it in neutral.

> When was the 5.2/5.9 discontinued in favor of the 4.7?

1999 was the last year for the 5.2. I know in 2001 we had a choice
between the 4.7 or 5.9 on the Quad Cab. I'm not sure when they stopped
the 5.9.

That's as much as I know. Hope it helps.