RE: Re: DML Digest V5 #2465

From: Pindell, Tim (TPindell@otterbein.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 21 2005 - 17:15:23 EDT

>> This started in the US back in the 1960's. {robably even before that.
You
>> can't stop it. And why6 would you want to? I can't afford to pay 70$
for
>> pair of jeans made in the USA. Our economy needs to change and adapt.
>>

>> - --
>> - -Droo
>>

>Droo-
>An interesting comment. How exactly would you change it? I hear what
you
>say about the $70 jeans, and most likely most people would agree with
you.
>That is until their job is outsourced...
>As it is, most of our textile business has now gone to other countries;
>most of our manufacturing base has likewise gone to other countries. I
>barely remember the last time I could easily understand a computer
person,
>except for the salesperson. Would you have us all lower our standard
of
>living to the level of foreign countries? I doubt it, we'd have to
give up
>our daks for public transportation!
>Actually our economy is changing. I think the latest figures from the
>government (GAO?) indicates that the middle class is shrinking. While
some
>few might break into the "wealthy" class; guess where most of the
middle
>class ends up. While I agree that "something" needs to be done, I
haven't
>got a clue as to what or how you would do it!
>
>Off my box and on to a Dak question-
>Lately my truck sounds like an old GM 350 when it starts. It clatters
like
>a bit**, but then quites down. It is pretty embarasing at times! This
is
>a '99 V-6, roughly 67,000 miles. Oil changes regularly at 3,000 mile
>intervals. Any suggestions?
>TIA
>Cal

One thing I try to do, if at all possible, is buy American (whatever
that means, anymore). Lately, our choices in that regard are becoming
very few. If I have the choice, I will spend a bit more for something
if it is made by an American worker. I will, also, go out of my way to
buy union-made if possible. This philosophy keeps me in my older,
pre-Daimler-Chrysler Mopars and New Balance running shoes.

Tim