RE: When to change timing chain set?

From: A. S. (adakota4x4@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 21 2005 - 22:13:04 EDT

Bill,
  If you don't hear any noise from the timing chain, I wouldn't worry about
replacing it with only 87k. It seems that some of the 3.9's around 94/95
got the tensioner and some didn't. The lack of tensioner is the reason for
premature failure of the timing chain. I speak from experience having
replaced the timing chain in my 95 3.9 and there not being a tensioner
present.
  I replaced mine with a Mopar timing chain set and tensioner. I can't
speak to whether or not a tensioner is not needed if you use a double roller
set. In my mind, it's still a good idea.
  As far as a plug set goes, there shouldn't be one. My engine did not have
a tensioner when I opened it up, and I didn't remove any plugs that I
remember to install the tensioner.
Hope this helps.
--Aaron--
95 DSRC 4x4 V6