Re: When to change timing chain set?

From: Bill Day (billday@otecom.net)
Date: Thu Sep 22 2005 - 06:21:09 EDT

The unfortunate things is I never heard a lick of noise off my timing chain.
It was aabout 88k to 92k on the clock when it went out and left me sitting
looking up at the stars on the side of one of my play places heading out
coyote hunting.

If you are starting to fear the timing chain, change it out while you got the
douigh and the time instead of waiting till it's to late.

Just my .02 worth.

On Wednesday September 21 2005 10:13 pm, A. S. wrote:
> Bill,
> If you don't hear any noise from the timing chain, I wouldn't worry about
> replacing it with only 87k. It seems that some of the 3.9's around 94/95
> got the tensioner and some didn't. The lack of tensioner is the reason for
> premature failure of the timing chain. I speak from experience having
> replaced the timing chain in my 95 3.9 and there not being a tensioner
> present.
> I replaced mine with a Mopar timing chain set and tensioner. I can't
> speak to whether or not a tensioner is not needed if you use a double
> roller set. In my mind, it's still a good idea.
> As far as a plug set goes, there shouldn't be one. My engine did not
> have a tensioner when I opened it up, and I didn't remove any plugs that I
> remember to install the tensioner.
> Hope this helps.
> --Aaron--
> 95 DSRC 4x4 V6
>

> From: "Bill S." <kb7vkl@yahoo.com>
> To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
> Subject: DML: When to change timing chain set?
> Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:19:30 -0700
>

> I've got a '94 Dak 3.9ltr with ~87,000 miles on it, is this about the
> right time to replace the timing chain set to avoid its failure?
> If I read this right; if I install a double row true roller chain set
> I won't need the tensioner? Does this require any sort of plug set to
> fill the space the tensioner took up? I haven't been in a Chy V engine
> in over 30 years, that's why I have to ask.
>
> Thanks for any helpful information offered.
>
> Bill

> 1994 Dak, V6, AT, AC, all stock for now

Bill Day

"A rich man isn't always wealthy, he just has all the love he can give and ever wanted.." http://counter.li.org #384146 284016