Gas panic (was: Rita traffic)

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 12:29:56 EDT

On Fri, September 23, 2005 11:43 am, jon@dakota-truck.net said:

> Well, he's got the first step covered, and that's "If you live
> in a hurricane area, make sure your town is above sea level".

Sad, but true.

> As far as the aftermath goes, I *know* he has the
> looters covered. ;-)

Good point. I wish I had the gas siphons covered. What's going on in
Southern Ontario right now just illustrates what total lemmings people
are. It's mass panic up here.

Why? Rumors. Nothing but rumors. I have to admit, I'm not totally
immune either. I've been hearing speculation that gas is going to hit
$1.70 per liter, then $2.00, and this morning I heard to expect $2.50 per
liter by Saturday afternoon (that's $9.45 per gallon). And through all of
this, I haven't seen one station actually charging above $1.04. There are
a few out there taking advantage of the situation, but I haven't
personally seen them.

How does this happen? All it takes is one jackass to trigger a chain
reaction. Wednesday evening, one independent gas station in Chatham puts
their price up to $1.76. Surrounding stations, thinking he knows
something they don't (or just gleefully following along with the
profiteering spirit), follow suit. Remembering a couple of weeks ago when
the price went from $0.99 to $1.25 overnight, people panic and run to get
to the cheap stations before the price goes up. They also call in to the
DJs on the local radio stations, who in turn tell everyone in the
broadcast area that gas is soon to be on the rise, so go fill up while you
still can.

I have to admit that I also fell for it at first, and ran out to fill up
both trucks, even though they were already nearly full. It took me a
while to realize what was really going on, which amounts to nothing much.
The more rational news outlets are reporting that we might see $1.20 per
liter soon, but nobody but the idiot DJs on the local music radio stations
are seriously predicting $2 any more.

I've personally seen lines to get in to gas stations wrapped around the
block, although I've been avoiding getting involved in that mess. Many
stations are running out of fuel. I've heard that actual fights have been
breaking out in these lines over who gets to fuel up first. To illustrate
the panic, read this message that came in from someone else on the
Burlington Freecycle list:

} Burlington....10pm....Petro Canada at Lakeshore and Appleby I just got
} gas for 99.6...the lines are there but not too heavy...only had to
} wait 10 minutes or so...gassed up the truck and a couple of cans as
} well...calling around for a locking gas cap tomorrow (and if I find
} one, I may just take the bus to pick it up)...hoping to find
} one...siphoning is happening...almost feels like a Mad Max
} movie...this is unreal...good luck folks

I think locking gas caps might be a good idea, assuming I can find one.
And maybe a nastygram posted to the inside of the fuel door telling
would-be gas siphons to go steal from someone with a hybrid who can afford
it. Or a Smart car. Hopefully they'll be too dumb to realize Smarts use
diesel, which would serve them right.