Re: Gas panic

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sun Sep 25 2005 - 16:48:36 EDT

DAKSY wrote:
> Hey, Jason
>
> <snip> Yep, a locking gas cap doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.
> We were able to order one for the 2001 from the Canadian Tire warehouse.
> Their computer indicates that no store in the entire chain has any left
> that
> will fit the '95. I'll have to try other stores<snip>.
>
> Another alternative (Department of redundancy department?)
> Back in '73 -'74 -when I was in college - & the "FIRST" gas crunch occurred,
> the tank in my '68 'Cuda was siphoned in the HVCC parking lot...I found a
> product - sorta like a tapered coil spring that slid down inside the filler
> pipe...
> It went deep enuff that it did not interfere with pump nozzles & was small
> enuff at the tapered end that a siphoning hose could not be inserted...
> Can't remember what it was called, tho...
> I do remember that once it was in, you'd hafta remove the filler pipe to get
> it out...
> Gotta be something like THAT still out there...
> Good Luck in your search...
>
> Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
> 2K DAK SY Sport + V6 4X4 5Speed
>
> WebPage URL: http://home.nycap.rr.com/daksy/

In my opinion locking gas caps are pretty much a waste of money.

Our trucks all have a combination anti-siphon/roll over valve. its
basically a big check ball that allows fuel in but no hoses can get past
it. If the truck were to roll - it blocked the fuel from pouring out
the filler neck.

If someone wants your fuel bad enough they will get it... pretty easy
too. Locking gas caps - most of them - are just plastic. It would be
very easy for someone with a hammer to simply bust the thing off. I
have also heard of incidents where the tank was punctured from below and
the gas was simply collected as it drained out.

But people seem to think they are worth it - we have been selling out of
them left and right at work. Mostly pickup truck owners buying them heh
- gee I wonder why hehe.

The first week the fuel shot up to $3+ a gal - I heard an unconfirmed
report that two semi's parked in a Fleet Farm parking lot, near the
gasstation, in the middle of the night... popped the fuel tank covers -
dropped a couple lines down and pumped out several hundrid gallons of
diesel into their trucks tanks. LOL

Again this was not confirmed - something I heard from someone at work.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine