Re: Gas panic

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Sun Sep 25 2005 - 19:46:52 EDT

Terrible Tom wrote:

> In my opinion locking gas caps are pretty much a waste of money.

IMHO, it's a psychological thing as much as anything. 90% of people are
honest and wouldn't steal gas in the first place. Take the remaining
dishonest ones, probably 80% of those are basically lazy opportunists.
If they open up the fuel door and see a lock, they'll probably move on
to an easier target. If they think it's easy, they might start fooling
around with it. Even if there's an anti-siphon valve in the tank, I
still don't want some idiot sticking a dirty siphon hose down the fill tube.

It's the same as locking the door. It never keeps anyone from smashing
the window, but it makes it difficult enough that most people will just
keep looking. I think leaving something unlocked just encourages
people. The thought has even crossed my own mind, when I see someone
with an open convertible run in to the store and leave the car running,
that maybe someone should take it for a joyride to teach the owner a
lesson. I wouldn't do that, of course, but I have been known to think
about it.

It is good to know there's an anto-siphon valve there. I was kind of
wondering about that earlier. Thanks for the info.