Re: Gas panic

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Sep 28 2005 - 09:23:56 EDT

At 06:19 PM 9/27/05, you wrote:
>What if you were to create a gas cap (some modification of the filler neck
>might be required to make it convincing) which looks like a propane filler
>plug, and add a label on the inside of the fuel door which says "propane
>only", or similar wording. Even better than a locking gas cap since
>the thief thinks there's nothing worth stealing in there. :-)

Previous owner of my challenger in OK did something that I had never
seen before. He drilled a hole from the inside of the trunk into
the inner trim plate (not the body) around the filler tube and threaded
a long bolt into it. The bolt when in far enough would prevent anyone
from turning the gas cap.

Very ingenious and inexpensive "locking" gas cap 8-) One drawback was
that you would have to open the trunk and back off the bolt a little
before putting gas in. I got many a strange looks when I gassed
up in OK :-P Also, one morning just before daybreak (I go to work
early :-)), the bolt was a bit stuck and it was so cold that I could not
get my fingers working to back off the bolt, hence no fill up :-(
Gas was only 85 or so cents a gallon back then! I made sure
that I had a screwdriver in the car after that little escapade :-)

It's still there so no locking gas cap for the challenger :-P

I don't know if it would work with newer cars though as the filler tube
to the body might not be exposed from the inside of the trunk.

Bob