Re: OT- Chrysler Techs

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Oct 12 2005 - 01:54:53 EDT

"Aaron Wyse" <awyse@sw.rr.com> wrote:

: Before you start with saying you can't say how..

: My mother in law bought a 94(I think) Chrysler Condorde with 44K miles on
: it. Problem is.. She's a shorter woman and has a major fear of the air bags
: deploying into her.. What is the easiest way.. short of changing the
: steering wheel or discharging the bag( which would lead back to replacing
: the wheel in the first place); Is there a simple fuse to pull, or plug on a
: module to disconnect??
: I know they aren't supposed to be tampered with.. but then again, neither
: are converters.

    Chances are the airbag has its own fuse. Check the fuse box
under the dash and also the power distribution center under the hood,
if applicable. You may find a fuse and/or a relay for the air bag/SRS.
Often a tech who needs to work on the steering wheel, in the dash or
in the general vicinity of an airbag will pull this fuse or relay to
prevent an "accidental discharge".

  Note that whatever you do to disable the airbag is likely to
turn on a trouble light on the dash, depending on the sophistication
of the system. Pulling a fuse will almost certainly cause this
to happen. If you can't live with that, you may need to dig
deeper to figure out a sneakier way to do it.

   Also keep in mind that you *might* be opening yourself up to
some liability if you allow anybody else to drive the car, and
certainly make sure the system is back up and running if you ever
decide to sell it (or inform the person that the airbag system
is non-functional and get something in writing from them saying
that this is OK with them - maybe just write it on a copy of
the bill and have them sign it.) (I can just see the dollar signs
in some lawyer's eyes when the car is in an accident and they find
out that the previous owner tampered with/disabled the SRS.) :-(

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | '70 Barracuda, '90 Dakota Convertible, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota | | '96 Intruder, '96 Kolb FireFly, '99 Cherokee, '01 Ram 3500 | `----------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'