RE: '99 Dak top speed?

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Wed Oct 19 2005 - 14:24:13 EDT

Joe,

For sure the only way to know with certainty is to do as you say and run it.
Other things to keep in mind;

1. Don't discount the areo difference, plus a 5.7 has a much more favourble
torque curve compared to a 5.2. You see it every weekend at the NASCAR tracks a
small dent in the front valence a car goes from leading the race to being
lapped by the field at the restictor plate tracks.

2. Every vehicle I have owned the speedo is reading at least a couple of mph
optomistic at 60 mph (I believe this is on purpose too)which is a 3.33% error
assuming that that error holds true to 115 indicated you are actually only
going 111 mph. My experince having been an engineer for a company that makes
instrumentation I would not be suprised if the error up near the top of the
scale is even larger (typically dial type gauges are designed to a spec between
20% and 70% of full scale). Magazines use radar or a 5th wheel to record speeds
to elminate this error.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4