Re: Secure bed storage?

From: sneezer@gmail.com
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 00:36:02 EDT

In article <djrrdg$t26$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, msnbcnnbcbs@hotmail.com writes:

> Howdy folks,
>
> I was going through the archives looking for some posts on this subject as
I'm
> sure its been talked about before, but couldnt find anything specific.
>
> I was looking for some sort of secure (preferrably) cargo hold-down system,
> tool chest, storage box, or something of the sort.
>
> Its for a 99 V6 Regular Cab, so space is at a premium.
>
> Im primarily interested in storing your typical breakdown/recovery items (a
> jumpstarter, 6D maglite flashlight, jumper cables, some extra quarts of oil,
> stuff like that.) I also have lots of problems with things sliding around
back
> there (groceries ect) since i have no way of holding anything.
>
> Unfortunately space within the cab just isnt there, but the bed currently
isnt
> holding anything (other than dust, that is :)
>
> The bed is covered by a soft tonneau with no bedliner. (Im going to be
applying
> a herculiner on it soon)Im looking to avoid the standard toolbox as I don't
use
> the truck to work and i would like to keep costs low.
>

> thanks!
>
> Luid

I actually picked up a nice aluminum diamond treadplate box used from a Ram guy
locally for about $50. Fits real nice in the front and barely comes over the
bedrails. I bolted it to the bed, but I also drilled holes in the rear of the
bed as well. If I ever get around to relocating my battery I was going to have
it in the box, among other things, and be able to move it to the rear of the
truck for better weight distribution at the track. Not much, but I figured
every little bit would help, and I am still planning on keeping my spare.

If you can't find something used you might consider one of the fenderwell
boxes. I think there are some cheap plastic ones available that bolt to the bed
and give limited storage behind the wheelwell in the bed. The steel ones are
pretty nice, but expensive.

Kevin
1992 CC 318 2wd