Re: Changing altitude on 03 Durango R/T

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Thu Oct 27 2005 - 21:05:02 EDT

On 10/25/2005 02:18, Shawn wrote:
| Ok all. Just joined the list, and I have a question for you. I've been
| looking for some info on either lifting or lowering my 03 durango R/T.
|
| Seems that there is a deficiency in kits, or knowledge on the subject. All
| companies list up to 02 or two wheel drive.

There's almost no market for lowering 4WD truck-based vehicles. Thus,
no kits.

Dodge changed the front suspension some for '00+, and caused the lift
makers to re-engineer parts. Some didn't bother. There are a couple
lifts out there, but results are very mixed.

| I know that my vehicle is "all wheel drive", with a 4 high, and 4 lo.
A real
| transmission and transfer case, and torsion bars in the front, leaf
springs
| in the back... the rear doesn't bother me at all on the lift or lowering
| side but the lack of anyone making any kind of a kit for my front
makes me a
| bit leary to start playing or fabbing something.

Any lift kit will require some degree of fabbing, instructions usually
included.

| My ultimate goal is to improve the performance while I change the
altitude.
| I'm not much into cranking the torsion bars either direction as I'm
not too
| hot on what that will do to the ride, tires, etc. (unless someone knows
| something I don't)

You aren't going to improve performance by lifting anything, unless you
mean off-road performance (which isn't a goal as you've stated).

| I was thinking hotchkis for the improvements, and who knows for the height
| change. I'm open to either direction at this point, since both will be
| purely looks. (meaning I'm not taking it offroad) It's my wife's vehicle,
| and will be a showcase for my business, and I have an off-road toy
already.
| (87 xj)

Hotchkis doesn't do lifts, and I'm pretty sure the 2WD kit they offer
for lowering won't work on a 4WD (completely different front
suspensions). Generally, people buying Hotchkis are doing it for
performance AND looks.

- --
- -andy

        -Bob Tom