Re: Christine's Plans For Denver (WAS: Transmission Skooling)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Nov 02 2005 - 13:53:22 EST

Terrible Tom <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:
: So I think I'm going to open up my planning stages to The List and ask
: for some input on what I should do.

    Hi Tom - wow - you certainly have your work cut out for you! :-)
Just thought I would confuse things a bit more by throwing a couple
of other possibilities at you... As far as a Magnum swap goes, if you
don't want to worry about finding a wiring harness, or if for some
reason one is not available, another option is to slap a carb on there
or go with some sort of DIY EFI setup, such as Megasquirt. The Megasquirt
route may be more involved than what you are looking to do, but there
is certainly a large support network for it out there via its own
mailing list. If you're not comfortable soldering together the kit, there
are folks who will do it for you for a fee. So anyway, perhaps the
easiest route would be to stumble across a donor truck from which
you could take the entire wiring harness, but I just thought I'd
throw those other possibilities at you just in case. :-) Something
like a 318 or 360 Magnum in front of an A-518 would likely be plenty
stout, even in stock form; it does indeed sound like what you need is
a rolled Dakota or Ram to be able to grab the engine, trans and wiring
harness from. :-) As far as your rear end goes, I don't recall if you
have the 8.25 or 7.25. If its the 7.25 you might want to think about
upgrading it, but the 8.25 would be adequate, I should think. The
8.25 can also be built up to be fairly strong.

   Sounds like you need to figure out which way to go pretty quick
though, with Denver less than a year away! That's quite an ambitious
project list. :-) Let me know if I can be of any assistance, with
info/advice or even parts fabrication (if you need custom brackets
for anything I should be able to make whatever you need, up to
about 1/4" thick or so).

   Good luck with it! :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 67 Coronet, 70 Cuda, 90 Dakota 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dakota | | 96 Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly, 99 Cherokee, 01 Ram 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'