Re: strange trailer wiring with 2002 Quad Cab w/factory 7-pin connector.

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Thu Nov 03 2005 - 12:35:07 EST

On Thu, November 3, 2005 11:25 am, Miles D. Oliver said:

> there is no specific ground wire in the trailer harness

OK, that sets off some alarms. That makes me even more certain that your
problem is most likely some kind of weird grounding issue. I have no idea why
your trailer would work when hooked up to a Chevy, that would be a question
for an electrician.

> I will try and ensure that there is good
> ground from the hitch ball

As others have pointed out, that's not going to be reliable.

> and also run a test wire from the trailer to
> the frame of the truck.

Good place to start. If that works, there is a ground connection in the 7
wire connector. Hook that up to something on the trailer side. The frame
would probably work if you can't find anything better. (Again, I'm not an
electrician, maybe someone with more experience would care to offer a better
suggestion?)