Re: strange trailer wiring with 2002 Quad Cab w/factory 7-pin connector.

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Thu Nov 03 2005 - 13:03:11 EST

That sounds right to me, it's been a long time since I worked at the RV/Cap
place but I recall the 4,5,6 & 7 pin wire configurations like this.

4 Way Systems are typically wired

Green = Right Turn & Brake
Yellow = Left Turn & Brake
Brown = Tail/Running Lights
White = Common Ground

5 Way (same as 4 Way plus)
Black or Red or Blue (on various flat 5 way I've seen all three colors used on
the 5th pin) = auxiliary power wire (could be used for brakes, however brakes
are typically wired blue though I have see black used)

6 Way Systems (same as 4 Way plus)
Black - 12V Positive (center pin on round 6 pin connectors)
Blue - Electric Brake

7 Way Systems
Pin 1 (lower right pin on truck) = White = Common Ground
Pin 2 (lower left pin on truck) = Blue = Electric Brake
Pin 3 (upper right pin on truck)= Brown = Tail Lights
Pin 4 (upper left pin on truck)= Black = 12V Positive
Pin 5 (middle right pin on truck) = Yellow = Left Turn
Pin 6 (middle left pin on truck)= Green = Right Turn
Pin 7 (center pin on truck) = Orange = AUX (I believe Dodge typically wires
this into the reverse circuit, both my trucks with tow packages came that way)

I would double check the grounds as it sounds like it's back feeding the
running lights.

Walt