Re: strange trailer wiring with 2002 Quad Cab w/factory 7-pin

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Thu Nov 03 2005 - 13:34:25 EST

In article <26118.199.64.0.252.1131039307.squirrel@janor.ath.cx>,
dml@bleazard.net ("Jason Bleazard") writes:

> OK, that sets off some alarms. That makes me even more certain that your
> problem is most likely some kind of weird grounding issue. I have no idea
why
> your trailer would work when hooked up to a Chevy, that would be a question
> for an electrician.

Could have been a lucky fluke. The pin configuration is standard with exception
to the center pin. Like I said, it appears Dodge wires that as a reverse
circuit because both my 96 and 2000 are wired that way and I didn't do anything
the either. However, I think GM wires that as another hot 12V. When my buddy
borrowed my car trailer, as soon as he plugged into his new Chevy, the reverse
lights I have on the trailer came on. I think use of the center pin varies by
manufacturer and Dodge wires it as a reverse circuit for compatibility with
trailers with surge brakes. The reverse circuit would disengage the trailer's
brakes when the vehicle is reversing. My Dad's 21' boat trailer was wired like
that now that I think of it.

> As others have pointed out, that's not going to be reliable.
>
> > and also run a test wire from the trailer to
> > the frame of the truck.

I would agree. Run a white wire from a bolt on the trailer frame to pin 1 on
the new plug. That should give you a good ground. I typically grease the ball
before any long road trips and wouldn't get a good ground via the ball.

Walt