Re: winter beaters

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 23:34:23 EST

Terrible Tom said:

> Josh Battles wrote:
>> Terrible Tom said:
>>
>>>I need to get another winter beater going here, since I sold my Ranger.
>>

>> I've been thinking about getting a winter vehicle as well. I'm tired of
>> driving my truck all the time and having to deal with the crappy roads all
>> the time. Plus, since the route I travel daily for school is heavily under
>> construction (thanks to this new "open road tolling" project they've got
>> going on now) I'd like to have something I can just point and shoot, so I
>> dont' have to worry about dodging big potholes with my little lowered
>> truck.
>>
>> Anyway, I've been thinking about picking up a P71 Crown Vic from a police
>> sale. They usually for for under $4k in this area, are usually well
>> maintained, and practically a couch on wheels. It'd be nice to get one
>> with
>> te push bars still on it too. ;)
>>

> Thats exactly what I have been thinking of buying too. However I think
> its less than ideal for me up here... chicago is much better about its
> winter road cleaning than Wisconsin is. Rear wheel drive (as was proven
> to me this morning) is not a good idea up here. Front wheel drive or
> all wheel drive would be the better bet for me. As well as something a
> little better of fuel than a crown vic.

You lived in the city, they clean the streets much better than what happens
out here in the suburbs. I never have any issues with a RWD only vehicle in
the snow. Either way, I prefer it to FWD. :shrug:

The fuel mileage is basically what's got the idea on hold for the moment. :(

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com