Re: RE: winter beaters

From: droo (03dakotaCC4.7_4x4@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Nov 18 2005 - 18:08:05 EST

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 17:11:33 -0500, <jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote:

> Do they use salt in NJ? In many areas (including where I live in NY
> and where Tom lives in WI) the highway department uses actual SALT - good
> ol' NaCl, which is probably one of the worst things you can expose your
> vehicle to - might as well just drive it into the ocean. Vehicle
> construction
> quality has a lot to do with it, but I'm not surprised that a 7 year old
> Dakota didn't have rust problems; in my experience, it starts to crop up
> at around 10 years or so. Anyway, timeframe will vary depending on
> vehicle quality as I mentioned, also driving patterns, temps, etc. but
> living in an area where they use salt on the roads will most definitely
> accellerate corrosion and rust. :-(

Of course they use salt. The places where they use other stuff is where
it's too cold for the salt to work. I like to get my truck washed in the
winter to keep it off. I think 10 years is a reasonable length of time to
expect rust to start showing up. You will definatley be well into
replacing alot of parts for mechanical reasons and OI don't think
repairing the body or other parts because of corrosion is an unreasonable
expectation.

--
-Droo

http://www.grandroyal.org/dakota