Re: '64 Hemi!

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 10:53:05 EST

"Ray Block" <bpracing@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

:> -----Original Message-----
:>
:> I don't know much about the street wedge,

: Jon, this is from the NHRA spec page on the '64 426 street wedge...

: HP Disp Mfg C.R. Ind. Make Model/Transmission
: 365 426 DP 10.3 1-4 Cart AFB-3611S/ALL

: I don't know if it was ever offered in the full size cars but a friend had
: one in a '64 or '65 Ply Satellite, 4-bbl/4-spd, and despite attractive specs
: it couldn't outrun my '62 Polara with a 361/torqueflite. Something wasn't
: right about that combination or else it was just highly overrated by the
: factory. Of course with the introduction of the 426 Street Hemi in '66 it
: was all but forgotten.

   Weird. Sure doesn't *look* all that bad on paper, but then again, I think
the 413 (non-max wedge) had about the same power output.

:> but I have heard the (413)
:> Max Wedge and the (426) Max Wedge stage II and III were about as good
:> as you could get, at the time. Supposed to be tempermental on the street,
:> but a good race motor. > -Jon-

: You are so right! The engine clearances were so loose that they typically
: smoked a bit and fouled plugs easily at sustained low speeds. When the 413
: max wedge came out in '62 a number of folks around my area drove them on the
: street....at least until winter when they typically replaced the 413 with a
: 318 for daily driving. We used to hang out at a local drive-in where there
: was an intersection about half a block away. You could hear those max
: wedges idling (loud hissing from the carbs) that far away and eagerly
: anticipate the barking of the tires as the torqueflites shifted through the
: gears. The cars may have been ugly but the view under the hood (and the
: sound) was unrivaled.

     Nice! Sounds like good times. :-)

: One of the guys was known for taking people for a
: ride and placing a $100 bill on the dash. It was yours if you could reach
: it while accelerating. AFAIK, no one ever did.

   That sounds like a good deal; at best, you come away with $100, but at the
very least, you'd get one heck of a ride in a Max Wedge! :-)

: I don't recall seeing any '63 or newer max wedges on the street but they
: were all over the tracks around here.

    I was thinking that if I came across one, it would be neat
to rebuild the engine to more modern specs (clearances and such)
and go with fuel injection on that cross ram intake. :-) That
may be enough to tame it for the street but still maintain that
wild streak. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -. | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA | | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 | | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly | | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD | `--------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'