RE: '64 Hemi!

From: Ray Block (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 06:44:26 EST

Jon, this is from the NHRA spec page on the '64 426 street wedge...

HP Disp Mfg C.R. Ind. Make Model/Transmission
365 426 DP 10.3 1-4 Cart AFB-3611S/ALL

I don't know if it was ever offered in the full size cars but a friend had
one in a '64 or '65 Ply Satellite, 4-bbl/4-spd, and despite attractive specs
it couldn't outrun my '62 Polara with a 361/torqueflite. Something wasn't
right about that combination or else it was just highly overrated by the
factory. Of course with the introduction of the 426 Street Hemi in '66 it
was all but forgotten.

> but I have heard the (413)
> Max Wedge and the (426) Max Wedge stage II and III were about as good
> as you could get, at the time. Supposed to be tempermental on the street,
> but a good race motor. > -Jon-

You are so right! The engine clearances were so loose that they typically
smoked a bit and fouled plugs easily at sustained low speeds. When the 413
max wedge came out in '62 a number of folks around my area drove them on the
street....at least until winter when they typically replaced the 413 with a
318 for daily driving. We used to hang out at a local drive-in where there
was an intersection about half a block away. You could hear those max
wedges idling (loud hissing from the carbs) that far away and eagerly
anticipate the barking of the tires as the torqueflites shifted through the
gears. The cars may have been ugly but the view under the hood (and the
sound) was unrivaled. One of the guys was known for taking people for a
ride and placing a $100 bill on the dash. It was yours if you could reach
it while accelerating. AFAIK, no one ever did.

I don't recall seeing any '63 or newer max wedges on the street but they
were all over the tracks around here.

Ray