Re: Ticking noise when in gear & heater core questions

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 29 2005 - 09:30:35 EST

On 11/29/05, kev336699@yahoo.com <kev336699@yahoo.com> wrote:
> for them. So I say OK, take a look at the freeze plugs. They say yes - they
> are going bad and the motor has to be removed to do it = $900. I say go for
> it. I get the truck back and all seems ok. Today I notice that when I put it
> into drive, it makes a ticking noise kind that increases with rpm. Doesn't do
> it in park.
>
> So.... my question is, does anyone have any thoughts on the heater core thing?
> Could this be an intermittent problem or something that could have "healed"
> itself? Second question - what do you think the ticking noise is? Could it be
> related to the removal of the engine or maybe freeze plugs installed too deep?

If it doesn't happen w/ the truck in park (what about Neutral?), then
I'd look at the drivetrain engine/transmission interface back.
Something that only turns when the transmission turns is making that
noise. If it was internal to the engine, it should make noise
regardless of being in Park or Drive or anything else.

I don't think they needed to remove the engine to swap freeze plugs.
At least 2 on each side are accessible via the wheelwell as I recall.

But really, if it didn't tick before they worked on it, and it does
now, I'd take it back to the shop and ask them to fix whatever it was
that they did that's making it tick.

--
Andy
http://home.rochester.rr.com/alevy/