Ticking noise when in gear & heater core questions

From: kev336699@yahoo.com
Date: Tue Nov 29 2005 - 09:19:21 EST

Hi,

This is my first post to DML, although I've used the archives many times.
Thanks for the help!

Anyway, here's my latest situation...

loss of coolant, water streaming out of drain from firewall (too much to be
condensate from AC, IMHO) so I bring in to dealer. They call me with a
diagnosis of bad heater core, leaking from thermostat gasket, and dripping from
freeze plugs - they also say I need a new serpentine belt. Estimate was
$1,500, which I just don't have right now. So I say no and pick it up. I
replace the serpentine belt and put in a new 180 degree thermostat and new
gasket. I ponder doing the heater core job for a week or two and finally take
to another shop I trust. They quote me $700 for the heater core which seems
reasonable. The do some pressure tests and call me to say the heater core is
NOT bad. I tell them about the streaming water and they say its not doing it
for them. So I say OK, take a look at the freeze plugs. They say yes - they
are going bad and the motor has to be removed to do it = $900. I say go for
it. I get the truck back and all seems ok. Today I notice that when I put it
into drive, it makes a ticking noise kind that increases with rpm. Doesn't do
it in park.

So.... my question is, does anyone have any thoughts on the heater core thing?
Could this be an intermittent problem or something that could have "healed"
itself? Second question - what do you think the ticking noise is? Could it be
related to the removal of the engine or maybe freeze plugs installed too deep?
Thanks in advance.

Kevin

1999 Dakota Club Cab
5.2 V8