Re: Ticking noise when in gear & heater core questions

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Tue Nov 29 2005 - 11:10:25 EST

kev336699@yahoo.com said:

> This is my first post to DML, although I've used the archives many times.
> Thanks for the help!

Welcome!

> Anyway, here's my latest situation...
>
> loss of coolant, water streaming out of drain from firewall (too much to be

At least you didn't end up with coolant running down your passenger
floorboard like I did.

> gasket. I ponder doing the heater core job for a week or two and finally
> take
> to another shop I trust. They quote me $700 for the heater core which seems
> reasonable. The do some pressure tests and call me to say the heater core is
> NOT bad. I tell them about the streaming water and they say its not doing it

IMHO, $700 is pretty excessive. My local dealer wanted less than that for a
HC replacement. I found a shop that would have done it for around $400 but
ended up doing it myself for $65, ~7 hours, and a chunk of meat off of the
back of my hand.

Having seen the HVAC "box" on the firewall, the only way you'd ever hope to
get water pouring out of the drain would be with a failed HC. I guess it
could work its way down from the fresh air intake in the cowl but I suspect
this is very unlikely as it had been raining for a few days and all was dry
inside my HVAC box when I removed it.

> for them. So I say OK, take a look at the freeze plugs. They say yes - they
> are going bad and the motor has to be removed to do it = $900. I say go for
> it. I get the truck back and all seems ok. Today I notice that when I put
> it into drive, it makes a ticking noise kind that increases with rpm.
> Doesn't do it in park.

Yikes. My first thought would be to immediately return the vehicle to the
shop that did the work and have them sort out the problem that's appeared
since they R&R'd your engine. It could be pinging or injector noise though.
My injectors make a fair amount of noise (always have since new) and can at
times sound like valvetrain noise or pinging.

> So.... my question is, does anyone have any thoughts on the heater core
> thing?
> Could this be an intermittent problem or something that could have "healed"
> itself?

In my experience, any sort of cooling system leak is something that will only
get worse with time. If your HC is legitimately bad, you should be getting a
coolant smell through the vents.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com