RE: 1991 Dakota 4-banger won't start

From: Pindell, Tim (TPindell@otterbein.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 29 2005 - 12:15:58 EST

In my experience with these engines the ECM itself is pretty far down my
list of things to check, however, its not unheard of that they can fry.
Codes? Can you hear the fuel pump buzz when you turn the key to "run"?
One way to check the operation of the fuel pump is to apply 12v to the
positive side of the coil. The Auto Shutdown Relay will cut power to the
fuel pump and coil if the computer doesn't see the distributor spin
during cranking. Sometimes the shutter wheel will break off the dist
shaft since its only held on with little melted plastic bits. I'm sure
you probably would have seen that issue if you already replaced the
pickup coil, but I figured I'd mention it anyway. Are the timing belt
covers in place? I usually ditch them at some point, but in this case,
if they are still present, you may want to remove them and see if the
belt is toast especially on an engine with this mileage. Have someone
crank while you watch the belt. Sometimes the teeth of the belt will
shear off at the crank sprocket making the belt appear intact upon
simple visual inspection. The timing belt spins an accessory shaft that
runs the oil pump and distributor. Strangely, most of my timing belt
failures on these engines did not occur while the engine was running.
The failure would happen on shutdown or restart.

If all that stuff checks out, then go have an adult malted grain
beverage of your choice (or four) while studying the wiring schematics.
Afterwards, break out the multimeter, contact cleaner and q-tips.

Tim

----