Re: RE: 1991 Dakota 4-banger won't start

From: Aaron Wyse (awyse@sw.rr.com)
Date: Tue Nov 29 2005 - 22:41:41 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Terrible Tom" <SilverEightynine@aol.com>
To: <dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net>
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 11:55 AM
Subject: Re: DML: RE: 1991 Dakota 4-banger won't start

> I can hear what sounds like relays clicking from under the bed of the
> truck, but I couldn't actually hear the pump humming as I expected.
>
> I didn't change the pick up myself so I don't know... and yeah the
> timing belt covers were in place... the engine sounded weird to me when
> it was cranking over... almost as if there was no compression... I
> chalked it up to not knowing what a 4 cyl Dak sounded like when it
> cranked over... if the timing belt went bad and the cam wasnt opening
> and closing the valves, then that would cause the sound I heard. It
> sounded just like Christines engine spinning over with the plugs out...
> I'll go back and check things out...

The fast.. no compression sounding .. usually indicates.. that is has
jumped time. If you're lucky .. timing belt.. maybe 20 min job.. at worst
it cracked the head.. roughly 2-2.5 hours.. We did mine in under 1.5hrs.
Piece of cake..
Pull the timing covers off and verify that it's in time. and while they're
still off.. watch it try and start.. see if the cam's turning.
On those motors I've seen everything from a patch of missing teeth, to
breaking off the cam at the first journal (#1 was trying to work)
Do not let that little motor intimidate you in the least.. Very
straightforward; and durable.
Aaron Wyse