RE: Tstat replacement WAS RE: Cap & rotor with brass terminal

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Nov 30 2005 - 07:52:24 EST

At 10:25 PM 11/29/05, Rascal wrote:
>Its warming up better but I still feel it should be running at about
>195 degrees
>and I think I am around 175 but will keep playing with it a bit.

It may still have some air bubbles in there, especially just below the tstat
itself. They can be quite stubborn! On a couple of occasions (I swap 180
and 195 twice a year because of my bracket racing), I have had to drive
around a week or so before all the air would clear and the needle would go to
where it should. I pretty well check the rad fluid level every day
before starting
to see if the level has dropped any during this time.

You might want to take the rad cap off, drop coolant just a tad (when
tstat opens
coolant will circulate quite quickly and if coolant is full it'll
splash out), start the motor,
set heater dial to highest setting, turn fan on fully and run until
tstat opens to get
any trapped air out. Might take awhile in these cold temps. under no
cap pressure
to get coolant temp. up but this usually helps remove the trapped air.

My needle is just a tad below where I expect it to be on my latest swap.
I probably should put the scanner on and see what temp. the coolant reaches :-P

Bob