Re: RE: NOW: thermostat WAS: Cap & rotor with brass terminal

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Fri Dec 02 2005 - 10:19:06 EST

Gary Hedlin said:

> My 98 doesn't have much heat too, and it's not fun since my 05 is in the
> body shop agian. :( Checked the usual vaccum tube culprit, t-stat is
> ok, I'm just forcing myself to live with it. The only thing that helps
> a little is my remote start.... giving it a good 20 minute warm-up puts
> some heat in the cab, enough to get to where im going. Because as I go
> down the road, it cools down.

You may want to attempt backflushing the heater core. Odds are it's plugged.
 The OEM Dodge cores are built like a little radiator with tanks on both
ends, so there's plenty of places to catch debris.

> ..which leads to another question, Last few times I've had the blower
> on high, i've had leaves comming out of the vents. Is there a way to
> put a screen over the air inlet?? And, where is the air inlet on the
> gen3's anyway???

The air inlet is in the wiper cowl, about 4 inches left of the lower right
corner of the windshield. There should be screen over it already. The only
way to get the leaves completely out is to pull the HVAC box, the ducting is
all twisted inside the dash so there's no effective way you could get a
vacuum in there to suck the leaves out. If you wanted to attempt vacuuming
them out with the box in the vehicle, you could try removing the lower heat
duct (for your feet). It's held on by 3 screws, two on the easy end (right
side) and one on the hard end (left - buried in the dash). There's an
opening in the HVAC box on the far right where the duct connects that you can
just push open.

Good luck.

--
- Josh