RE: New Acquisition

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Fri Dec 09 2005 - 17:24:16 EST

On Thu, December 8, 2005 11:33 pm, James Calder said:

> Is that 4X4 symbol supposed to be illuminated only when it's engaged?

Yep. If it's on all the time, you'll want to get to the bottom of that. It
might be as simple as a faulty electrical switch, or maybe there's a reason it
feels like the front end is engaged when you're turning.

Just a random thought... MarkIII wouldn't have put a full-time transfer case
in there, would they?

> Is your '95 4X4 stock height?

Yep.

> If so, can you possibly measure from the
> ground to the bottom of the fender in the front and the back?

If I remember, but I'm going to be pretty busy until the new year, between
overtime demands and getting ready for our annual excursion to Utah. I'm not
sure how much it would really tell you, though. Every one of these trucks
sits at a slightly different height due to varying amounts of spring sag over
the years. Mine is pretty light for a 4x4 (V6, regular cab, manual
transmission, no A/C) and seems to sit slightly higher than others I've seen.
On the other hand, I think my tires are smaller than what you have, so that'll
make a difference as well. The good thing is that it's pretty easy to adjust
the torsion bars if you need to.

> I'm curious
> because the previous owner said Mark III lowered it slightly and it sits
> only slightly higher than a 4X2. It's doesn't look like it to me so I just
> want to verify it.

>From the eBay auction, it looks pretty normal to me. Difficult to tell
between the flares and different tires/rims, though. I don't think there's
any way to lower the front end of a 4x4 model without major re-engineering.
If they lowered it "slightly" they might have just released the torsion bars a
bit or something. The rear is easier, they could have replaced the springs,
or taken a leaf out of the spring pack or something. Like I said though, the
pictures look pretty normal to me.

> Also, are the front wheels farther apart then the rear wheels?

They are slightly.

> On this
> truck they stick out about 3/4" farther on each side than the rear wheels.

I don't think the difference is quite that much on mine.

> I'm thinking he may have used spacers in the front since he put on GenIII
> wheels.

It's certainly possible. I have heard that the gen III rims only fit properly
with spacers (and I've heard from other sources that "you'll be fine" without
them). You might be able to see the spacers between the wheel spokes. If
not, you'll probably find out for sure the first time you take one of the
front wheels off.