Transmission (Was: Diffy Go Boom)

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 18:47:02 EST

Gary Hedlin wrote:

> jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
>
>> As far as the rest of the drivetrain goes, having the diff grenade
>> in such a fashion as to lock everything up would be the same as just
>> mashing the brakes and locking up both rear tires, right? Granted,
>> doing that frequently probably isn't the healthiest thing you can do
>> for a vehicle, but when put into that context, it doesn't seem quite
>> as harmful, somehow. If I were driving along at 60mph, slammed on the
>> brakes and kept the rear locked up until I came to a stop, I certainly
>> wouldn't expect to have to service the trans or transfer
>> case afterwards. (I could be wrong.) :-)

Very good point Jon - I had not thought about it that way. I was trying
to imagine in my addle brain - the things that would happen in the
driveline if the rear wheels were to lock up. The brakes sinario seems
to work well. I agree - I doubt its the case of the driveline failure.

> Far as the trans fluid, It wouldn't supprise me if someone either never
> changed the fluid or put motor oil in by mistake. I'm not saying a bad
> trans is not a possibility, it might be someone putting oil in to
> thicken things up to hide a slipping problem. But just looking at that
> differential, i'ld bet thats at least a contributing factor to why the
> trans wont go.

Hey Gary! Yeah I'm wondering what went on... I think I am going to try
and contact the previosu owner. Tonight I threw another 5 gallons of
gas in the truck. The low fuel light finally went off and the needle
moved up! yay! At least I don't have to replace the furl pump assembly
.. I had feared the sending unit was dead after I put fuel in and the
level didn't rise.

I started it up and tried shifting gears... no drive shaft movement.
Seems the trans is pretty much fubar. When I try and shift into park,
theres some NASTY gear clash coming from somewhere.

Dinner time - back later!

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4, 95 Dakota 4x4, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine