Re: Diffy Go Boom

From: Gary Hedlin (superdak@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 17:59:56 EST

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> As far as the rest of the drivetrain goes, having the diff grenade
> in such a fashion as to lock everything up would be the same as just
> mashing the brakes and locking up both rear tires, right? Granted,
> doing that frequently probably isn't the healthiest thing you can do
> for a vehicle, but when put into that context, it doesn't seem quite
> as harmful, somehow. If I were driving along at 60mph, slammed on
> the brakes and kept the rear locked up until I came to a stop, I
> certainly wouldn't expect to have to service the trans or transfer
> case afterwards. (I could be wrong.) :-)

Thats kinda my feeling too, but I was equating it to driving down the
road and doing something like driving down the road and just slamming it
in reverse. If something that adrupt happens, you would think either
the neutral saftey switch would kick in, or the trans just puke. And
looking at the pics of the shattered diff and knowing you had pieces
locking the axle up, I don't think the trans is the problem. If the
differential cant spin, the driveshaft cant spin, so obviously your
trans wont work.

Far as the trans fluid, It wouldn't supprise me if someone either never
changed the fluid or put motor oil in by mistake. I'm not saying a bad
trans is not a possibility, it might be someone putting oil in to
thicken things up to hide a slipping problem. But just looking at that
differential, i'ld bet thats at least a contributing factor to why the
trans wont go.

Gary Hedlin
05 4.7 SLT
98 3.9 Sport