45RFE trans pan, welding in a drain plug.

From: Miles D. Oliver (moliver@mmoliver.org)
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 06:46:38 EST

  OK, time once again to change the tranny fluid. I hate the mess of doing
this in my garage because of the no drain plug issue, fluid goes
everywhere and I hate it. I want to put in a drain plug when I have the
pan out this time.

  I've looked at aftermarket aluminum pans that offer greater
capacity and a drain plug but at over $200.00 a pop I just can't stomach
that cost, especially when I have to do it 2x over (wife has a 2003
Durango, Me a 2002 Dakota, both with 4.7 and 45RFE trans). Both are daily
drivers and aren't taken offroad.

Anybody on the list welded in a drain plug to the stock pan? I'm thinking
of doing it.

  Not having a drain plug in a trans pan is stupid to me, always will be.
Its fluid you have to change, why not make it accessible to do so
without all that mess?. I only do it every so often, Those who do it for
their job, It would make me wanna climb that Texas Tower.....

I know it is more cost effective to not have to put one in off the assembly
line and there is some thought that it makes you change the filter when you
change fluid but the concept is still stupid. You have a drain plug in
the oil pan and you can drop fluid from it and not change the oil filter?

How many of us would be ticked if to change the oil we had to drop the
oil pan?

Anybody put in a drain plug?? I'd love to hear your opinions/experiences.

--
  Miles D. Oliver
  www.mmoliver.org