Re: Re: 45RFE trans pan, welding in a drain plug.

From: Miles D. Oliver (moliver@mmoliver.org)
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 11:42:40 EST

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Mike Sykes wrote:

> there's no drain plug becuase you're supposed to change the filter when you
> change the fluid, which requires dropping the pan. You're supposed to change
> the cooler return line filter every 60k miles, which also requires pan
> removal. Also, there is a magnet on the pan that needs to get cleaned off of
> any metal shavings, otherwise the shavings will go back into the transmission
> and cause damage. Well... there really should be any metal shavings on the
> magnet... but you'll never know unless you drop the pan, which is the whole
> point of dropping the pan...
> Drop that Pan!! =)

  So just because you are supposed to replace the filters that means that
you get to endure the mess of sloshing and spilling fluid everywhere when
you drop the pan? Where is the logic in that? I don't buy any of it.

Same way that it is idiotic to create the diff covers without drain plugs
and the mess that comes with replacing those fluids. Why can't it be that
you drain them and then pull the covers for inspection as well instead of
slopping fluid everywhere.

  Replacing filters at recommended intervals shoudn't have to be this way.
If there were a drain plug and someone only drains the fluid and replaces
it without replacing the filters then they deserve the consequences. Same
as if they only drained/replaced oil and didn't change the filter.

  I would think that there is a very small percentage of people who do
their own work anymore and the rest are done by so-called professionals.
And I would think that the professionals would like to see a drain plug to
help reduce the mess. Especially when they would probably do it more than
I would because I only have 2 vehicles to maintain, not the many that
would pass thorugh a shop.

  I would want to say that if given a choice of professional machincs to
choose either drain plug or not. They would choose drain plug.

--
  Miles D. Oliver
  www.mmoliver.org