Re: Transmission Question/Intro

From: Craig Faison (cfaison@magpage.com)
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 09:59:50 EST

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Andy Levy wrote:

> How long are you staying in those gears? Your other 2 tests, you were
> leaving the truck in OD or 3rd. Usually you don't hang at a
> particular RPM in 1st or second very long, without leaving the tranny
> in that gear manually. The noise may be there, but you're nto
> catching it because you're not holding at the right RPM.

Trust me, if the noise were there, there'd be no 'not catching' it. It's
loud enough that this morning I watched a woman 50 yards away in her
driveway abruptly turn around to see what the noise was as I drove by. ;-)

We're making progress though. I'm now fairly certain that it's not in the
trans. I started my "testing" earlier this morning (within the first 2
minutes of starting the truck, while it was still very cold) and I could
get it to do it in any gear as well as park and neutral. This morning 1700
rpm was the magic number.

Yesterday it was 2200 rpm - 53-54 in 3rd and 77-78 in OD both were 2200
rpm. It's definitely temperature related, and it was happening more
frequently this am. Within 5 minutes though, it had stopped completely.

I replaced the air filter last night, and just sorta wiggled the intake
stuff all around. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I really don't think
it's intake noise, but I'm not yet ruling it out.

I think now that it's in one of the rotating assemblies on the front of
the motor - fan, water pump, belt tensioner, ac compressor, power
steering, etc. Maybe even just the belt if I'm lucky. When I get some time
(hard to come by with a 2 y/o and a 7 week old), I'll explore that and see
what I find. I'm almost hoping it will get worse quickly so that finding
the source is easy.

thanks again,
Craig