Re: Computer backups

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Fri Dec 16 2005 - 10:58:54 EST

Andy Levy wrote:
> On 12/15/05, Jason A Banta <jason.banta@louisville.edu> wrote:
>
>>While on the subject of backups, remember that if you are using a USB
>>hard drive attached to your machine (such as the Maxtor One touch) any
>>environmental damage such as water or fire done to your computer will
>>more than likely also happen to your backup.
>

> Not if you keep the backup drive in a suitable safe, or in a different
> physical location, when not in use. I've been taking semi-regular
> backups of my photos to my parents' house (maybe only one set a year)
> for a couple years now, on CD. If/when I start going the
> external-drive backup route, hopefully I can afford a pair, and just
> rotate them each time we go out to visit (or when they come out to see
> us).

Good point... My only back up is an external fireire drive on my desk -
but honestly I think if my house had been on fire... my computer backups
are the least of my worries. I din't even have a large MP3 collection -
prolly less than 6 gigs.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4, 95 Dakota 4x4, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine