Re: Computer backups

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Dec 16 2005 - 20:09:58 EST

On Dec 15, 2005, at 13:04, Andy Levy wrote:

> On 12/15/05, Jason A Banta <jason.banta@louisville.edu> wrote:
>> While on the subject of backups, remember that if you are using a USB
>> hard drive attached to your machine (such as the Maxtor One touch) any
>> environmental damage such as water or fire done to your computer will
>> more than likely also happen to your backup.
>
> Not if you keep the backup drive in a suitable safe, or in a different
> physical location, when not in use. I've been taking semi-regular
> backups of my photos to my parents' house (maybe only one set a year)
> for a couple years now, on CD. If/when I start going the
> external-drive backup route, hopefully I can afford a pair, and just
> rotate them each time we go out to visit (or when they come out to see
> us).

my plan is two 300 gig drives, do a full backup on the weekend, nightly
incremental, and rotate weekly. take the drive from home to work on
friday morning, bring the drive that's been safely in another location
home on friday night, do my full backup over the weekend and back to
nightly incrementals. Once I start this procedure, all my data will
never be in one place at once and I'll feel a LOT better about things.

   +-- Mike Maskalans ------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
   | '98 Dakota CC 318 4x4 '84 RamCharger 360 4x4 |
   | SFA, 40" Iroks 34" Truxs M/Ts, plow |
   | looking for the right Cummins - 4x4 manual trans CC |
   +------------------ <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/> --+