Re: transmission stuff

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Dec 20 2005 - 17:58:24 EST

Daniel L. Burrows wrote:

> Is the 91 3.9 Dakota transmission hydraulic or electronic? I always
> thought it was hydraulic with an electronic over drive.? If this is true
> did they go to a fully electronic transmission at some point in time?

I believe 1996 was the year (or about the year) when the trannies went
to electronic control. The model number designations denote the style.
  the model numers that they use now are easier to understand. The old
A-500 is now the 42RH or 42RE.

4 = number of forward gears
2 = the number that denotes strength (the higher the stronger)
R = primary rear wheel drive
E or H - denotes Hydraulic or electronic control (valve body)

The tranny in my 95 4x4 is a 46RH, and I remember reading that the
trucks had the 46RE in 1996... I have the 46RE in my 01 Ram - and I hate
it. Electronic controls - they way they are set up from the factory -
at least on my truck... this trans shifts WAY too early in the RPM band
for my taste. it causes the engine to bog down - becuse it shifts too
early during accelration. I've been pondering tranny upgrades - but its
gotta wait... along with a lot of other stuff.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4, 95 Dakota 4x4, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine