Re: transmission stuff

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Dec 21 2005 - 10:48:49 EST

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Daniel L. Burrows wrote:

> When I was talking about changing speed sensors I was talking about the
> MPH part of the cluster being correct or incorrect as the old one went
> to 85 and the new one goes to 125.

sorry, I'm no help on that since I've never looked at the guts of a
mechanical speedo. I'd expect that either cluster would have used the
same gears in the tail shaft, so for a given speed the cable should be
spinning the same speed (ignoring tire size and gears) and therefore give
the correct reading for either custer speedometer.

> I just hope that my extra transmission
> is not a 42RE as I would have to make a module to make it shift at the
> proper time. On the other hand, if it is a 42RE then this would give me
> a perfect excuse to make a push button shifter, or maybe a paddle
> shifter on the steering column… Of course I would still have to manually
> engage the transmission from park to drive, but the paddle shifter would
> be pretty sweet as I can make the transmission shift whenever the hell I
> want.

not quite. the valve body configuration is changed by each motion of the
shifter. the electronic part is that the line pressure is controlled to a
certian extent by the governor pressure solenoid. There's more electronic
control than just the lockup and overdrive, but it's more of electronics
controling solenoids that play with the line pressures than the
electronics directly acting on the guts of the trans.

> Lastly, does anyone have closed differential rear end that is the
> standard gearing for a 91 3.9 that is for sale. It would be really nice
> to chuck my old 91 open rear end. I mean how the hell am I supposed to
> pull a boat up a rap with that darn peg leg rear end, haha!

you have a few options for traction additions - a factory limited slip, an
aftermarket limited slip or aftermarket locker. for street use either
limited is your best option. I kinda left my old 8.25" in the weeds at my
old apartment, I have no idea if it's still there.... but it was (is) a
limited slip.

--
MikeM