Re: transmission stuff

From: Daniel L. Burrows (havenx@insightbb.com)
Date: Wed Dec 21 2005 - 00:20:55 EST

Terrible Tom wrote:

> Daniel L. Burrows wrote:
>

>> Are the ratios the same in both the 88 A500 and the 91 42RE?
>>
>> Also, I put a 125MPH guage cluster in the truck as it has a tach....
>> Do I need to change the speed sensor so that it reads correct?
>> I guess it is clear that the old guage cluster only went to 85.
>>

> The ratios I don't know about - but the speed sensor - hmm - you might
> need to change it. Now that I think about it - that might explain why
> the tach in Christine doesn't work right. I picked up a replacement
> cluster from a Lister here a while back - outta Gen II - and it reads
> way too high.
>
> My last two Gen I clusteres worked fine... so try it first - then change
> sensors if eed be... but I dont think that 91 is new enough to have that
> problem.

I already put the gauge cluster with the tachometer in my 91 and the
tach function did not work so I ended up making a module for it (I did
this a few years ago). When I was a teenager I had an 87 Dakota (the
truck was 10 years old at that time) and I added a tach with a kit that
hooked to the number one wire on my distributor. I did the same thing on
my 91 except I had to make a module that would transpose the pulses down
to a variable voltage that would not fry the electronic tach in the
cluster. As I recall a slightly higher voltage was needed per RPM and I
spent hours figuring out the ratio using my old tach as a gauge (pretty
slick huh)….Later on I found out that I could have added a wire to my
computer and it would have done that for me. I guess my module works
just as well though-it’s still working! Anyhow, if my memory serves me
correctly ( and it usually does not), and if your tach is reading too
high then you probably need to lower the voltage per RPM going into your
electronic tach. Depending on your electronic cognition, and the
equipment you have would probably make the difference to if you are
successful in making a module.

When I was talking about changing speed sensors I was talking about the
MPH part of the cluster being correct or incorrect as the old one went
to 85 and the new one goes to 125. If the gear ratios in the A500 and
the 42RH are the same then I should not have to change any of the
gearing in the cluster as both gauge clusters are geared to work with
the speed sensor I already have. I just hope that my extra transmission
is not a 42RE as I would have to make a module to make it shift at the
proper time. On the other hand, if it is a 42RE then this would give me
a perfect excuse to make a push button shifter, or maybe a paddle
shifter on the steering column… Of course I would still have to manually
engage the transmission from park to drive, but the paddle shifter would
be pretty sweet as I can make the transmission shift whenever the hell I
want. I guess one of the perks of building a Dakota by starting with a
Dakota frame is a perfect opportunity to make it exactly how I want. The
sad thing is that I started this task in 2000, lol. Since I started
college I have had very little time to work on it.

Lastly, does anyone have closed differential rear end that is the
standard gearing for a 91 3.9 that is for sale. It would be really nice
to chuck my old 91 open rear end. I mean how the hell am I supposed to
pull a boat up a rap with that darn peg leg rear end, haha!