Re: Stereo install WAS: Re: Made it (was: The Big Trip)

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 21 2005 - 15:38:20 EST

On 12/21/05, Josh Battles <josh.lists@omg-stfu.com> wrote:

> On Wed, December 21, 2005 1:50 pm, Andy Levy wrote:
> >
> > On 12/21/05, Josh Battles <josh.lists@omg-stfu.com> wrote:
> >> Stereo installs are quick and painless, and also on the inside of the
> >> vehicle. Just run it to get the inside nice and toasty, then do all the
> >> work
> >> with the doors/windows closed. It's only a 15 minute job anyway.
> >
> > Well, it's my first install, so I'm expecting a little more than 15
> > minutes. I can do the harness prep work inside (ordered from
> > Crutchfield), the hard part will be routing the Sirius antenna wire, I
> > figure.
>
> You're expecting more than 15 minutes and you've got the super-amazing
> instructions from Crutchfield? Yikes.

I'm a stereo-install newbie. And I don't have the gear in my hands
yet. Should be here tomorrow.

> The wire for the sirius setup shouldn't be too bad, how much cord do you
> have? If there's enough, you could just tuck it under the carpet along the
> doorsils and bring it up and out at the top of the tailgate. If you don't
> have lots of cord, try pulling it through the firewall along one of the
> existing harnesses and mount it on the wiper cowl, satellite radio antennas
> are rediculous small now so you probably wouldn't even see it there.

No idea yet (see above). I don't think I'll have enough room on the
cowl, and depending on where the satellite is the car itself may
block. I plan on mounting the tuner in the dash under the head unit
(it's a 2-DIN space). I might be able to run the wire up the A-pillar
and mount above the windshield but with Subies not having an upper
door frame that might not work out so well.