Re: Stereo install WAS: Re: Made it (was: The Big Trip)

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Wed Dec 28 2005 - 14:28:00 EST

On Wed, December 28, 2005 8:57 am, Andy Levy wrote:

> The whole thing is very well-secured. Now I understand why it took 45
> minutes to replace a light bulb in the instrument cluster! I would
> have extended the wires if I had spare wire on hand. I may stop at
> Radio Shack and pick some up. But that means I'll have to go back
> into the dash.

That must be the Japanese quality I've always heard about. I wouldn't worry
about extending the wires at this point, all the work is done. Take care of
it when you pull the unit out next time.

> Like I said, I couldn't find any clear route to the rear hatch without
> pulling up every piece of trim in hopes of finding a route. It was 30
> degrees, wet and snowing - I wanted it DONE.

Excuses, excuses... Next time maybe use a friend's garage?

> As for the silicone, I got black gasket & seal GE Silicone II. In
> exposed areas, it'll just be a couple small dabs to keep the wire
> tacked down. It's not getting put on till the weekend most likely
> (due to weather), and I have easy access to an semi-expert on the
> product who seems to think it'll be OK.

I guess that'll work. I've never been a fan of sticking anything (glue or
otherwise) on the paint of any vehicle I cared about. You'll have to report
back on longevity.

> Next time it'll go better I'm sure. That won't be for a couple years
> at least. If given a choice...I'd rather have Sirius built in when I
> get a car.

Always does, each time makes it easier. I'd thought about getting satellite
radio on my nexct vehicle too but since I always rip the stereos out and
replace them with whatever I want anyway it'd be a waste of money. If you're
good with the factory stereo then it'll be a great solution for you.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com